Monday, January 2, 2012

Potato Pancakes {Egg-free, Dairy-free}

Who doesn't love mashed potatoes? Well, if you are with me on the I {heart} mashed potatoes! bandwagon, you will love potato pancakes. My family reminded me of these at Christmas when we were sitting around the dinner table staring at a bowl of half-eaten creamy mashed potatoes. I'm pretty sure my brother-in-law had never heard of potato pancakes before or had never had any, so that night when the leftovers made their appearance, he made some. I got to taste it and it was pretty good! Brought back lots of memories - like the time my grandparents were staying with my siblings and I and my Mamaw made these for dinner {some with onion, some without}. My brother thought he'd be funny and placed one of the onion ones on the non-onion plate where my sister would be sure to grab. Sure enough, she took that one and it only took one bite for her to know somebody was up to no good. We all laughed, but my sister got the last laugh when my papaw made my brother take the one he tried to get my sister to eat and made him eat the whole entire thing. That is one memory we will never forget.

So, all that to say - You need to try these!!

Potato Pancakes {Dairy-free, Egg-free}

{Serves 2} Recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc.

2 cups mashed potatoes
1 1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 1 Tbsp. water
1/4 cup flour
chopped onion or minced onion, optional
oil or Crisco for frying

Mix ingredients together until completely combined. {You want the consistency to be a little thicker than a normal pancake batter, so add a bit of almond milk if needed to achieve desired consistency.} Heat oil or Crisco in skillet until hot. Add a spoonfuls of potato mixture to hot pan, leaving space in between each pancake. Flip pancake when edges start to brown. Set on paper towel to drain oil. Serve hot with a dallop of Tofutti brand sour cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment